Christmas recipes for the Filipino Noche Buena, Media Noche and more Pinoy dishes for the holidays are being offered online for fans of Filipino cooking.
Chicago-based food blogger Vanjo Merano posted recipes of traditional Filipino dishes for the holidays that can be easily prepared in home kitchens, with step-by-step instructional cooking videos – all for free on the PanlasangPinoy.com website.
The Filipino IT professional shares he started the food blog to help teach people around the globe the proper way of cooking Filipino food using available ingredients.
“Aside for my deep passion in cooking and my continuous craving for the distinctive Filipino taste, I was motivated to shoot videos and create this food blog because I noticed that Filipino Cuisine is so underrated. I want Filipino Food to be noticed, known, tasted, and enjoyed by the rest of the world,” states Merano in his welcome note for browsers.
Here are 7 Filipino dishes for the Holidays:
1. Simbang Gabi isn’t complete without the Puto Bumbong, a rice cake sold outside churches after the dawn or night mass. Fans of Filipino cooking can go to the site PanlasangPinoy.com to check out the recipe for Puto Bumbong.
How to make Traditional Puto Bumbong
2. Crispy Pata, the succulent pig leg with soft meat on the inside and crispy skin on the outside, gets in the list of holiday food offerings for a Noche Buena feast.
How to cook Crispy Pata
3. Panlasang Pinoy recommends the Christmas Chicken and Ham Macaroni Salad as a rice substitute and as potluck offering for parties.
How to create festive Chicken and Ham Macaroni Salad
4. This masterpiece of a Homemade Cured Ham with Brown Sugar Honey Glaze is great with two slices of bread with mayo spread, and also with queso de bola.
Homemade Cured Ham with Brown Sugar Honey Glaze
5. Fiesta tables in the Philippines will always have the Pork Menudo in varying versions, and Christmas tops the most festive of fiestas of all.
Filipino Pork Menudo recipe
6. Lechon Kawali tops the list of any Filipino holiday table, with its juicy and tender pork while the skin remains brown and crispy.
Lechon Kawali recipe
7. What do you get when you cross marshmallows with Pinoy pastlillas? This Pastimallows recipe can be an opportunity for kids to help with this dessert, which can be given as gifts in boxes or sold for extra income.