Filipino math wizards from Philippine schools took home 30 medals and 12 merit awards from the 2016 Thailand International Mathematics Competition (TIMC).
The 32 students of the Philippine delegation to the math contest won 2 gold, 5 silver and 12 bronze medals, and 12 merit awards in the individual contest, and 7 first runners-up and 4 second runners-up trophies in the group and team contests, according to the media release of the Mathematics Trainers Guild (MTG)-Philippines.
MTG’s Dr. Isidro Aguilar announced the winning math students:
- Fedrick Lance Lim – Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Vicente Raphael Chan – Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Dominic Lawrence Bermudez – Notre Dame of Greater Manila
- Shawn Darren Chua – MGC New Life Christian Academy
- Vanessa Ryanne Julio – St. Jude Catholic School
- Bryce Ainsley Sanchez – Grace Christian College
- Annika Angela Mei Tamayo – Ateneo de Iloilo-Sta. Maria Catholic School
- Vince Dexter Ang – Philippine Cultural College-Main
- Immanuel Josiah Balete – St. Stephen's High School
- Andrei Lenard Chan – Zamboanga Chong Hua High School
- Mark Edward Gonzales – St. Paul College of Makati
- John Henry Marquez – Philippine Science High School-Main
- Ryan Jericho Sy – Chiang Kai Shek College
- Justin Teng Soon Khoo – Learning Circle
- Frederick Ivan Tan – Xavier School
- Robert Frederik Uy – St John's Institute Bacolod City
- Jan Cedrick Quintin – Mother Goose Special School System
- James Matthew Young – Iloilo National High School
- Jonathan Conrad Yu – Philippine Christian Gospel School
- Sarji Elijah Bona – Palawan Hope Christian School
- Marco Erano Dumale – De La Salle University Integrated School
- Lawrence Gabriel Dy – CCF Life Academy
- Andrhea San Gabriel – University of Baguio Science High School
- Xuanye Li – Xavier School
- Lance Heinrich Lim – St. Jude Catholic School
- Jose Ignacio Locsin – Philippine Science High School-Main
- Raymund Carlo Masbano – St. John's Institute
- Wesley Gavin Palomar – Falcon School
- Rexza Mae Panaligan – Sta. Barbara Central Elementary School
- Jose Oliver Narvasa – Notre Dame of Greater Manila
- Karl Raymond Roque – Philippine Science High School-Main
In a media interview, gold medallist Lim said, "Each time we win medals and other honors in international math contest like the TIMC is a celebration of national pride."
Filipino math students also won in the China math competition, according to the Guild.
The Philippine team competed against contestants from Australia, Canada, The Netherlands, South Korea, Hong Kong, China, Bulgaria, Mexico, Thailand, Taiwan, Kazakstan, Mongolia, Indonesia, Cyprus, India, Iran, Laos, Lebanon, Macau, Malaysia, Nepal, Romania, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam and the Philippines.