Filipino pride in tennis, Alexandra “Alex” Eala, has raised the Philippines’ flag while singing the anthem two times in Italy after winning both the Girls’ Singles and Girls’ Doubles titles at the 2021 International Tennis Federation (ITF) Juniors World Tour 61st Trofeo Bonfiglio in Milan.
The teen tennis sensation from the Philippines went on a winning streak all week while playing two matches a day at the Tennis Club Milano Alberto Bonacossa, firmly proving why she was the Main Draw No. 1 seed player in the tournament participated in by 64 world champions.
The 16-year-old reigning French Open and Australian Open Doubles Champion added another juniors’ doubles title to her trophies as she won the ITF JA Milan Girls’ Doubles Finals match on Saturday, July 17, together with American partner Madison Sieg.
Alex Eala afterward claimed the Girls’ Singles Championship title on Sunday, July 18, in front of jubilant Filipinos who gathered at the close of the JA Milan tour.
Here is a timeline of Alex Eala’s double-winning journey in Milan:
- Eala dominated her Round 1 opponent Brenda Fruhvirtova of the Czech Republic, 6-1, 6-2
- The Rafa Nadal Academy scholar then overpowered Canada’s Kayla Cross in Round 2 delivering a defeat, 6-1, 6-1
- Eala displayed her grit and fought off the challenge of her 13th-seeded opponent, Russian champion Ksenia Zaytseva, in a thrilling Round 3 match, 7-6, 4-6, 7-5
- The Globe Ambassador then fended off another challenge from her Singles quarterfinals opponent Sofia Costoulas of Belgium, 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4, sending the Filipino to the Singles Semifinals
- Alex Eala defeated Russia’s Mirra Andreeva in the Singles semifinals match, 7-5, 6-2
- The ITF Juniors World No. 3 Eala topped her winning streak with a dominant run against 16th-seed Nikola Bartunkova of the Czech Republic in the final match, 6-3, 6-3
- The Philippines-US tandem dominated the Round 1 doubles, winning against Romania’s Stefania Bojica and Portugal’s Matilde Jorge, 6-2, 6-1
- Eala and Sieg then foiled the challenge of Russia’s Anastasiia Gureva and Ekaterina Maklakova, 6-3, 3-6, 10-7 in Round 2
- On the same day, the No. 1 seed duo of the Philippines’ Alex Eala and American Madison Sieg defeated the Russian tandem of Yaroslava Bartashevich and Ksenia Zaytseva, 6-4, 6-3, in the quarterfinals
- Eala and Sieg then played their Doubles’ Semifinals match and handed down a defeat to the Russian pair of Kira Pavlova and Diana Shnaider, 6-3, 6-4, sending the Philippines-US tandem to the finals
- The Eala-Sieg tandem faced Sofia Costoulas and Lucija Ciric Bagaric of Croatia in the battle for the JA Milan Doubles Championship title, outlasting their opponents, 6-4, 4-6, 13-11
SEND CONGRATULATIONS AND CHEERS in the comments below as Alex Eala raised the Philippines’ colors in Italy with her twin World Juniors Championship titles in JA Milan!
Good News Pilipinas is celebrating its 15th Anniversary in 2021 by giving away prizes! Subscribe to our Good News Pilipinas! TV YouTube channel and enter the raffle by sending us an email to email@example.com