The Ateneo de Manila University Press has topped the Aklatan all-Filipino online book fair that marked a milestone in the introduction of a new entry in the Lazada list of top-performing categories—local history books.
The Ateneo Press bested 31 publishers in the Aklatan held last September 25-27, 2020, and the 26 publishers from the same fair held August 16-18. Organized by the Book Development Association of the Philippines, the annual Aklatan All-Filipino book fair was held virtually this year in partnership with e-commerce platforms Shopee and Lazada.
Lazada, whose book section is formerly dominated by categories like romance, children’s books, literature, and educational books, announced that “history books” is the new top-performing book category on the platform. It was determined through consumer engagement and other in-app activities during the second Aklatan book fair.
Ateneo University Press (AUP) had several local history books available during the book fairs including:
- recently reissued and annotated Ricardo Manapat’s landmark work, Some Are Smarter Than Others: The History of Marcos’ Crony Capitalism
- Primitivo Mijares’ The Conjugal Dictatorship of Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos
- Reynaldo Ileto’s Pasyon and Revolution: Popular Movements in the Philippines, 1840-1910
- Wataru Kusaka’s Moral Politics in the Philippines: Inequality, Democracy, and the Urban Poor
- Resil Mojares’ Interrogations in Philippine Cultural History
- newly launched, The Philippines is Not A Small Country by physician, medical anthropologist, and columnist Gideon Lasco
- sociologist Nicole Curato’s Duterte Reader: Critical Essays on Rodrigo Duterte’s Early Presidency
- historian Lisandro Claudio’s Taming People’s Power: The EDSA Revolutions and their Contradictions
Ateneo University Press has been known for publishing well-written and extensively researched academic and scholarly Filipiniana titles nationally and globally recognized. These works are highly regarded contributions to scholarship, research, and education. Ateneo University Press was awarded Publisher of the Year by the Manila Critics Circle in the last three consecutive years: 2017, 2018, and 2019.
Such recent achievements widened Ateneo Press’ engagement in social media and strengthened its resolve to continue publishing books that pioneer ideas backed by rigorous research so as to provide context and initiate and sustain critical conversations between its authors and their community of readers and citizens.
SEND CHEERS in the comments below to Ateneo University Press local history books top Aklatan online fair sales.
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.