BPI advises SMEs to go digital in “new normal”

HSBC Philippines
BPI SMEs to go digital
BPI says retailers and SMEs going into mobile and online banking will help them stay connected with their customers. Photo from BPI.

The Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) has advised Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs) to observe people’s changing habits and behaviors and developing digital capabilities to support such behaviors as a means to adapt to the “new normal” amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“Before, as business owners, when we see lines outside, we feel good about it. We see that ‘okay, this is revenue.’ But now, it’s more about addressing customer behavior. So these are the things that will really change. SMEs must have the tools to mitigate this,” said Louie Cruz, Sales Group Head for BPI Business Banking, in a recent webinar for its SME clients.

“Given the situation now, with physical distancing, digital or e-commerce is actually benefitting from the situation. The new normal doesn’t tell you to change your business entirely. It’s more about having a plan or including as part of your growth the digital aspect of doing business,” he added.

BPI’s Business Banking group noted an 18% increase in the digital transactions of its clients. Bank-wide, the total number of transactions increased from 72% pre-ECQ to 90% during ECQ.

“The capacity of BPI’s digitalization is really being tested and we were able to cope with the increasing demands on our systems. We want our SME clients to have that same digital advantage in their own businesses,” he continued.

The bank believes that adopting a digital mindset will help companies in their operations—from settling their bills, supplier payments, salary payments, and other financial transactions. For retailers and SMEs, mobile and online banking will also help them stay connected with their customers.

One such digital tool for SMEs is BPI’s BizLink, an online facility for business clients.

BPI Business Banking Head Eric Luchangco, said tools like BizLink will enable businesses to do routine transactions online, such as downloading bank statements, transferring and collecting via automatic bills arrangement, and others.

“As businesses adjust to the changing consumer behavior, it is also important to prepare their back-end processes. And when they build their digital capabilities now, they will be ready for the resurgence in their businesses when the pandemic ends,” he said.

Right now, the focus of BPI is on helping its current clients, whether through loan reprieves, availing of new products and services, or trusted business advice.

“We are reaching out to clients through our relationship managers and even through digital tools such as webinars. We believe that the more we help our clients overcome current challenges, the better we, as banks, will be in the long run. After all, banks do well when the clients do well,” he said.

BPI has built a digital ecosystem for more convenient banking in the Philippines while helping SMEs prepare for unexpected risks.

SEND CHEERS in the comments below to BPI and the SME community as they adapt to the “new normal” conditions brought on by the coronavirus pandemic.

Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials FacebookTwitterInstagramGood News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.

Facebook Comments

The Good News Pilipinas Team
The Good News Pilipinas Team is a group of Filipino journalists who advocate putting more good news stories about the Philippines and Filipinos on the media.