Here are the winners for the first-ever digital edition of the 46th Metro Manila Film Festival (MMFF).
For the first time, the MMFF Filipino holiday tradition was held solely online due to the coronavirus pandemic. Ten Filipino films joined the annual festival’s line-up this year via virtual platforms Upstream.ph and Gmovies which started streaming the movies for Filipinos around the globe on Christmas day and will continue to run the films until January 7, 2021.
Awards for the top films were revealed during MMFF’s “Gabi ng Parangal” ceremony streamed live on MMFF’s official Facebook page on December 27, 2020.
“Fan Girl” directed by Antoinette Jadaone dominated MMFF 2020, winning 8 of its 9 nominations. The awards for the psychological suspense film include Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Director, and the Best Actor and Actress awards for its leads Paulo Avelino and Charlie Dizon.
The thriller flick follows a troubled teenage fan (Charlie Dizon) whose obsession with Filipino actor Paulo Avelino spirals out of control when she follows her idol back home to his seemingly abandoned mansion in the middle of nowhere.
Jadaone’s much-awaited “Fan Girl” which earlier had its world premiere at the Tokyo International Film Festival (TIFF) and competed at the 24th Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival in Estonia, was finally released locally through MMFF. It also bagged the Best Picture award followed by Filipino Boys’ Love (BL) film “The Boy Foretold By The Stars” (2nd) and “Tagpuan” (3rd).
Here is the complete list of winners of the 46th Metro Manila Film Festival:
- Best Virtual Float: Magikland
- Best Student Short Film: Paano Maging Babae
- Best Visual Effects: Magikland – Richard Francia, Ryan Grimarez (Central Digital Lab)
- Best Production Design: Magikland – Ericson Navarro
- Best Musical Score: Magikland – Emerzon Texon
- Best Editing: Fan Girl – Benjamin Tolentino
- Best Cinematography: Fan Girl – Neil Daza
- Best Original Theme Song: “Ulan” by Jhay Cura/Pau Protacio – The Boy Foretold by the Stars
- Best Sound: Fan Girl – Vincent Villa
- FPJ Memorial Award: Magikland
- Gatpuno Antonio J. Villegas Cultural Award: Suarez: The Healing Priest
- Gender Sensitivity Award: The Boy Foretold by the Stars
- Special Jury Prize: Peque Gallaga
- Manay Ichu Vera-Perez Maceda Memorial Award: Gloria Romero
- Best Screenplay: Fan Girl – Antoinette Jadaone
- Best Child Performer: Seiyo Masunaga – The Missing
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Shaina Magdayao – Tagpuan
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Michael de Mesa – Isa Pang Bahaghari
- Best Actor in a Leading Role: Paulo Avelino – Fan Girl
- Best Actress in a Leading Role: Charlie Dizon – Fan Girl
- Best Director: Antoinette Jadaone – Fan Girl
- Best Picture: Fan Girl
The MMFF shifted online due to the novel coronavirus pandemic that restricts face-to-face live events. Several Filipino films intended for the proposed Metro Manila Summer Film Festival in April were included in the official line-up for MMFF 2020.
Here’s how you can stream MMFF 2020 until January 7, 2021.
SEND CONGRATULATIONS in the comments below to the winners of the digital 46th Metro Manila Film Festival!
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new good story notifications and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories