Science and technology undergraduate scholarships for the school year 2021 are being offered by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) to students interested to join the science community by pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
DOST-Science Education Institute (SEI) announced the availability of scholarship slots for incoming Grade 12 students in the current Academic Year 2020-2021 even as the Philippines is facing the challenge of the coronavirus pandemic.
DOST and its collaborators in the science community have been at the forefront of addressing the challenges of the COVID-19 health crisis by innovating on solutions such as the first Philippine COVID 19 test kit, the RxBox vital signs monitoring device, reusable and washable cloth face masks that are droplet repellent, clinical trials in using Virgin Coconut Oil as treatment, among many other initiatives.
“Amid the uncertainty, we soldier on in providing scholarship opportunities for college studies. The DOST Scholarship invites talented Filipino youth to pursue STEM-related careers and take active participation in research and development (R&D) activities. We hope to have more scientists especially in this changing world,” DOST-SEI Director Dr. Josette T. Biyo said.
Students who intend to acquire scholarships when they enroll in college next year need to meet the following requirements:
- must be natural-born Filipinos
- of good moral character
- in good health
- students of the STEM strand
- Those in the non-STEM strand may also apply provided they belong to the top 5% of their graduating class
- Students who belong to families whose socio-economic status does not exceed the cut-off values for certain indicators may apply for RA 7687 program, otherwise, applicants may apply for the Merit Scholarship Program
- applicants should pass the 2021 S&T Undergraduate Scholarships Examination
- should pursue a Bachelor of Science degree program in any of the priority fields of study at a state university or college or any private higher education institution that is recognized by the Commission on Higher Education as Center of Excellence or Center of Development or with at least FAAP Level III accreditation for the BS program that they intend to enroll
For the complete list of requirements, priority programs, and study placements, visit SEI’s website here.
Interested applicants may apply online through this link.
The deadline for the online application is on August 28, 2020. The date of the nationwide qualifying examination is on October 25, 2020.
For the current school year, a total of 9,788 graduating senior high school students have passed the DOST-SEI Scholarship.
SEND CHEERS in the comments below to DOST for giving out new scholarships to science students.
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.