Filipino athletes Mark Julius Rodelas and Kaizen Dela Serna have set five new standards including the Guinness World Records en route to dominating the Philippine Obstacle Course Racing (OCR) 100M Open held at Arcovia City in Pasig City, Manila.
Rodelas and Dela Serna of the Pilipinas Obstacle Sports Federation (POSF) National Team broke the World Obstacle Record, Asian Record, Southeast Asian Record, and the Philippine National Record while setting the new Guinness World Records for the Male and Female OCR 100 categories (12 obstacles in a 100-meter course) during the event.
- In the men’s race, Rodelas set the new record for the Fastest 100m obstacle course race in competition (FISO) (male) and won the gold medal with a time of 27.12 seconds, defeating opponents Jakub Zawitowski and Przemyslaw Janczuk of Poland, who finished first and second runners-up, respectively.
- In the women’s race, Dela Serna raced her way to a record-breaking performance for the Fastest 100m obstacle course race in competition (FISO) (female) with a time of 39.42 seconds, winning gold and defeating fellow Filipina racers Precious Cabuya and Milky Mae Tejares in the women’s event.
- The two Filipino athletes eclipsed the previous world marks established by the Philippines’ Southeast Asian Games gold medalists Kevin Pascua (29.92) and Rochelle Suarez (49.70) in 2019.
Rodelas and dela Serna successfully carved their names into the record books during the competition that was authenticated by World Obstacle officials and attended by Justin Patterson, an adjudicator from the official Guinness World Records organization, who validated the records during the event.
“We have set 5 new records today. The Philippine record, Southeast Asian Record, Asian Record, World Record and GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS® for ™ the Fastest 100m obstacle course race in competition (FISO) (male) and Fastest 100m obstacle course race in competition (FISO) (female),” POSF president Atty. Alberto Agra declared on competition day, April 10, 2022.
The two-day event started with an elimination round which was joined by 18 athletes from across the Philippines.
The following are the top 3 finishers of the Philippine OCR 100M Open in the male and female categories:
- CHAMPION – Kaizen Dela Serna
Time 39.42 – PHILIPPINES
- 1st Runner Up – Precious Cabuya
Time 40.01 – PHILIPPINES
- 2nd Runner Up – Milky Mae Tejares
Time 44.68 – PHILIPPINES
- CHAMPION – Mark Julius Rodelas
Time 27.12 – PHILIPPINES
- 1st Runner Up- Przemyslaw Janczuk
Time 28.11 – POLAND
- 2nd Runner up – Jakub Zawitowski
Time 30.87 – POLAND
The Philippine obstacle course racing team earlier swept the gold and silver medals in the male and female divisions of the first World’s Highest Obstacle Race (OCR) on Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, East Africa.
More world records set recently by Filipinos include the most number of double under skips in 12 hours by Filipino “Skipman” Ryan Alonzo and the farthest flight undertaken on a hoverboard by Filipino flying electric car inventor Kyxz Mendiola.
SEND CONGRATULATIONS in the comments below to Filipino obstacle course racers Mark Julius Rodelas and Kaizen dela Serna for setting new world records and dominating the Philippine OCR 100M Open held at Arcovia City in Pasig City, Manila!
Good News Pilipinas is a Lasallian Scholarum Awardee. TELL US your good news story tips by messaging GoodNewsPilipinas.com on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and WATCH Good News Pilipinas TV YouTube & Good News Pilipinas TikTok for more Filipino Pride stories!