Filipino innovations will be on showcase in the 2020 National Science & Technology Week (NSTW) virtual fair this November.
The complete list of activities that will be featured during the first-ever virtual celebration of the NSTW scheduled from November 23 to 29, 2020, has been released by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).
Carrying the theme, Agham at Teknolohiya: Sandigan ng Kalusugan, Kaayusan, Kabuhayan, at Kinabukasan, the DOST and the different agencies and regional offices will banner several activities that include a total of 27 virtual fora, workshops, career talks, technology and project launchings, and film showings that will highlight different innovative solutions and new S&T knowledge related to livelihood and business, safety, health, education, disaster preparedness, and community development.
NOVEMBER 23, Monday
- The 2020 NSTW will kick-off at 10:00 AM on November 23, Monday, with a virtual opening ceremony to be followed by a 30-minute press briefing to be attended by top DOST officials led by Secretary Fortunato T. de la Peña.
- From 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM, there will be the Remote Learning Experience of PSHS System with Pisay sharing their STEM education strategic plan for their scholars during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- This will be followed, at 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM, by a series of TED-Talks-inspired sessions to be conducted by the DOST-Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD). It will tackle the contributions, developments, and impacts of the various technologies such as the RxBox telemedicine, GINHAWA, and Project SIBOL to communities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Before the first day ends, the OneStore Hub: SETUP on the Go will be launched at 3:00 PM
- Followed by the Cybersecurity: Are We Serious About It? at 4:00 PM, wherein a DOST-National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP) expert [in the field of Engineering and Industrial Research, Mathematical Sciences and ICT] will talk on the different kinds of cyberattack and how one can be protected against it.
NOVEMBER 24, Tuesday
- On 24 November, from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM, the DOST-Science Education Institute (SEI) will conduct the 3rd IndieSiyensya Film Exhibition to showcase the winning entries in their recent competition.
- It will be followed by DOST-Food Nutrition and Research and Institute’s (FNRIs) Nutriflix from 11:00 AM -1:00 PM.
- The DOST-Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology (PHIVOLCS) will hold the Disaster Resilience Summit on Earthquake and Volcano Preparedness from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Followed by the SETUP Forum: Gearing Up for Industry 4.0 to be held from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
NOVEMBER 25, Wednesday
- On 25 November, there will be the CEST Forum organized by the DOST Regional Offices from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM. CEST or Community Empowerment through Science and Technology is one of the flagship programs of the DOST that provides assistance to rural communities with interventions in education, health, sanitation, livelihood enterprise, and disaster risk reduction and preparedness.
- The DOST-Science and Technology Information Institute (STII) will conduct the Online Kwentuhan with S&T Idols from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM.
- This will be followed by the DOST-Philippine Textile Research Institute (PTRI) that will hold a virtual forum on TELA Sustainability in Textile and Fashion from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
NOVEMBER 26, Thursday
- On 26 November, from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM, a webinar will tackle S&T initiatives to include DOST’s collaboration with international partners to combat the current pandemic.
- It will be followed by the Lecture Series and Symposium for the Youth organized by the DOST-National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM.
- Then, the DOST-Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI) will conduct a webinar showcasing their state-of-the-art facility, the Electronics Product and Development Center as a platform for inclusive innovation and collaboration from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM.
- On the other hand, from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM, the DOST-Industrial Technology and Development Institute (ITDI) will introduce different technical services for various industries that are proven to help improve productivity, efficiency of operation, and market competitiveness.
NOVEMBER 27, Friday
- On 27 November, the DOST-Forest Products Research and Development Institute (FPRDI) will conduct a Bamboo Musical Instruments (BMI) Virtual Concert from 09:00 AM to 11:00 AM.
- It will be followed by Food Safety Careers: What is it in Food Safety R&D? of the DOST- Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (PCIEERD) from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- The next event will be another from DOST-NRCP where an expert will share insights on the science behind dreams from 1:00 PM- 3:00 PM.
- To cap the day will be the webinar of DOST-PAGASA on Bagyo at Baha, Bata at Matanda ay Ligtas from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
NOVEMBER 28, Saturday
- On 28 November, the line-up of the webinars include the following: Galing-PCAARRD Kontra COVID19: Pagkain at Kabuhayan Sa Pamayanan from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- Advanced Manufacturing Center (AMCEN): Manufacturing Beyond the Conventional by the DOST-Metals Industry Research and Development Center (MIRDC) from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- Regulating Nuclear Facilities and Activities in the Philippines by the DOST-Philippine Nuclear Research Institute (PNRI) from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM;
- iSTART: Bridging Gaps, Reducing Inequalities by the DOST-Caraga from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
NOVEMBER 29, Sunday
- For the last day, 29 November, DOST-SEI will now have their 4th IndieSiyensya Film Exhibition from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM
- Webinar on the DOST Courseware and Mathematics for e-Learning from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM
- The last event for the celebration will be an orientation on Manufacturing Productivity Extension for Export Promotion (MPEX) organized by the DOST Region VI office.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE 2020 NSTW:
- Go to https://nstw2020.dost.gov.ph/
- Click the ‘REGISTER’ button
- Fill out the form and click SUBMIT
- Access the 2020 NSTW Virtual Lobby
You can access all virtual exhibits. All the webinars at the Plenary Hall are open to the public.
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.