The National University Lady Bulldogs today booked an outright finals spot after sweeping all its elimination games and is now poised to campaign for its first University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Women’s Volleyball title in 65 years.
NU finished the two elimination rounds of UAAP Season 84 with a clean 14-0 win-loss scorecard after defeating the University of Santo Tomas Golden Tigresses in all three sets, 25-22, 29-27, 25-17, during their match on Thursday, June 9, 2022, at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.
The NU Lady Bulldogs have won two UAAP Women’s Volleyball titles – the first during the 1953-54 season and the last during the 1956-57 season.
NU will play the waiting game as the 2nd to 4th-seeded teams play to win the right to meet the Lady Bulldogs in the finals.
The team standings are currently at:
- De La Salle University Lady Spikers is in the 2nd spot (10-4)
- UST in 3rd place (9-5)
- Adamson University Lady Falcons (8-6) is in temporary 4th place pending the result of the ongoing Ateneo-UP game.
The final elimination game between the Ateneo de Manila University Blue Eagles (7-6) and the University of the Philippines Fighting Maroons (5-8) will determine the final 4th-seeded team. If defending champion Ateneo wins against its UP rival tonight, the Blue Eagles will force a play-off against the Adamson University Lady Falcons (8-6). If Ateneo loses to UP, Adamson will stay in its spot as the 4th-seeded team.
The Battle of Katipunan in Season 84 resulted in UP ending Ateneo’s reign in Season 84, winning the state university’s first UAAP Men’s Basketball Team crown in 36 years.
UPDATE: UAAP Final Four Stepladder Format in effect as Ateneo wins against UP in the last elimination game.
As NU’s sweep of the eliminations placed the team as Seed No. 1 advancing outright to the finals, the No. 2, No. 3, and No. 4-seeded teams will follow the following Stepladder Final Four Format:
- DLSU (Seed No. 2) advanced to the semifinals with a twice-to-beat advantage.
- Adamson and Ateneo will face off to determine which team will be the final Seed No. 4.
- UST (Seed No. 3) will meet the winner of the No. 4 rank in the semifinals in a one-game playoff.
- In the finals, No. 1 seed NU only has to win only twice and will have the thrice-to-beat advantage or a 1−0 incentive lead in a best-of-five Finals series.
Good News Pilipinas is a Lasallian Scholarum Awardee. TELL US your good news story tips by messaging GoodNewsPilipinas.com on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or e-mail email@example.com and WATCH Good News Pilipinas TV YouTube & Good News Pilipinas TikTok for more Filipino Pride stories!