The University of Cebu (UC) is renting internet cafes for the exclusive use of its students and teachers to cope with new modes of learning amid the coronavirus pandemic.
UC Chancellor Candice Gotianuy announced on social media about the university’s move to provide access to computers and internet connectivity around Cebu province. The computers will be fitted with the UC learning management system (LMS) with downloadable e-books and other learning resources.
Enrolled students will be issued identification cards that will give them access to the computer labs and Internet cafes for exclusive UC use.
“We understand that the majority of our students and teachers have limited access to devices and internet providers. As such, we have thought of ways to make it easier and more affordable for you,” Chancellor Gotianuy posted on social media on August 16, 2020.
The university official said the move complements its other efforts such as the installation of computers from its labs in Cebu Electric Cooperative (CEBECO) buildings in Carcar, Toledo City, and Bogo for the use of the academic community.
UC also emphasized its compliance with health safety protocols in the use of computer labs and Internet cafes, including social distancing, regular cleaning, the use of disinfectants, and requiring the use of face shields and masks.
Chancellor Gotianuy also posted a call for Internet Cafe owners who are interested in the project. The announcement as follows:
UC is looking for Internet cafes have the following:
- at least 20 computers (EDIT. 20 because GCQ guidelines only allow 50% occupancy. If you have 15 and place for expansion, we will consider)
- good working internet
- safe environment
- computers that can accept USB (or willing to configure)
- willing to open from 6am – 8pm
- located in Carcar, Toledo, Bogo AND OTHER CITIES/ TOWNS WITH A LARGE POPULATION INCLUDING MACTAN AND NEARBY ISLANDS AND PROVINCES
Those interested can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject bearing info on the INTERNET CAFE NAME and LOCATION.
UC needs the following details in the email:
- your personal details- name, are you the owner, address, contact number, etc
- pictures of the interior and the location outside
- number of computers
- what model the computers are
- what software they can run
- a close up of one computer
- a close up shot of the screen turned on
- internet provider and your internet plan
- any additional information
The computer and internet connectivity are expected to be ready for the UC class opening on September 1.
Several initiatives had been addressing students’ needs for gadgets and internet access that are needed in the new normal of schooling.
The country’s capital city of Manila is also preparing to distribute free tablets, laptops, and WiFi for public school children and teachers while Cavite province will roll out free WiFi.
SEND CHEERS in the comments below to the University of Cebu as it sets up computer and internet connectivity for its academic community by renting internet cafes for the exclusive use of students and teachers.
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.