University of Santo Tomas (UST) researcher, Dr. Lorico D. Lapitan, Jr. has won the 2020 National Academy of Science and Technology – Philippines (NAST PHL) Talent Search for young scientists.
The UST researcher was named among the five finalists from the University of the Philippines and the Ateneo de Manila University who presented their papers during a live broadcast on the NAST PHL Facebook Page on June 26, 2020.
Lapitan’s research on “Magnetic nanoparticle-poly-enzyme nanobed sandwich assay for direct and ultrasensitive DNA detection and discrimination” stood out in the presentation and won the 1st prize awarded during the virtual live ceremony held on July 10.
Second place went to Darlon V. Lantican of University of the Philippines Los Baños while third place went to Dr. Wilfred John E. Santiañez of UP Diliman.
Along with a plaque of recognition from the National Academy of Science and Technology – Philippines (NAST PHL), Lapitan also received a cash prize worth Php100,000 and a Php 500,000 research grant from the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) for the approved proposal.
Here is the result of the 2020 NAST Talent Awards and their prizes:
- 1st – Lorico D. Lapitan Jr., Ph.D. in Chemistry, University of Sto. Tomas (UST)- received a plaque, Php100,000 cash prize and research grant worth Php500,000
- 2nd – Darlon V. Lantican, MS Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of the Philippines (UP) Los Baños, – received Php50,000
- 3rd – Wilfred John E. Santiañez, Ph.D. Natural History Sciences, University of the Philippines Diliman – received Php30,000
Special citations to:
- Lyn Marie D.J. Corpuz Ph.D. Material Science and Engineering, University of Sto. Tomas (UST) – received Php10,000
- Zomesh Artus N. Maini, MS Biology, Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU)- received Php10,000
The 2020 winner obtained his Bachelor’s Degree and Master’s Degree at the UST as Cum Laude and finished his Ph.D. at the University of Leeds in 2018.
Lapitan is now a faculty member and the laboratory supervisor of the UST Department of Chemical Engineering. He is also a resident researcher at the UST Research Center for the Natural and Applied Sciences.
The UST researcher has also been a recipient of various international research internships in Japan (2011) and Taiwan (2014).
The NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists is a project of NAST PHL that seeks to encourage the youth to pursue a career in Science.
Filipino scientists and schools in the country are being recognized by different respective institutions locally and internationally.
SEND CONGRATULATIONS in the comments below to UST researcher Lorico Lapitan Jr. for winning the 1st prize at the 2020 NAST Talent Search for Young Scientists.
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.