The Wesley So Cup in the Philippines kicked off with Round 1 shocker wins among the popular squads of the Professional Chess Association of the Philippines (PCAP).
The professional chess tournament named after Filipino American Super Grandmaster (SGM) Wesley So was heralded by an opening program on May 15, 2021, where Cavite’s pride and a contender to the rank of World No. 1 gave a message addressed to Filipino chess players that revealed his continued affinity with the Philippines even while representing the United States.
“Dear kababayan chess players,
“I’m so excited and even thrilled to be a part of this chess event with you. This is a dream come true for me. I believe in the particular abilities of the Filipino chess player. And I’m proud to be part of exposing the players and expanding their opportunities.
“Thank you to the PCAP for imagining and then getting down to work to create this amazing opportunity for our Filipino chessers. I thank God for all of you. Mabuhay! – Wesley So,” went the message of the reigning United States Chess Champion who started his career in the Philippines before moving to America to further hone his craft.
After the opening ceremony, the matches between 24 chess teams reinforced by foreign imports started on the chess24 platform with updates given on the PCAP Facebook page.
Among the 12 matches, a GM-less squad won over a popular club while the All-Filipino champions bowed, and a revenge win was executed by the previous tourney’s runner-up team.
Here are the Wesley So Cup Round 1 Results:
- Cavite Spartans playing without a Grandmaster shocked the Pasig City King Pirates, 11-10
- Manila Indios Bravos delivered an upset against All-Filipino champion Laguna Heroes in the tiebreak, 2-1, after ending up with a 10.5-10.5 scorecard after the regular play during the opening round of the PCAP Reinforced Conference
- Camarines Soaring Eagles, the All Filipino runner up, executed a revenge trouncing of the Zamboanga Sultans, 16.5-4.5
- Iloilo Kisela Knights vs. all-female Palawan Queen’s Gambit, 18-3
- Cordova Dutchess Dagami Warriors vs. Surigao FianChetto Checkmates, 17-4
- Negros Kingsmen vs. Iriga City Oragons, 17-4
- Toledo City Trojans vs. Cebu City Machers, 15.5-5.5
- San Juan Predators vs. Antipolo Cobras, 15-6
- Caloocan Loadmanna Knights vs. Rizal Batch Towers, 12.5-8.5
- Cagayan Kings vs. Quezon City Simba’s Tribe, 12-9
- Lapu-Lapu City Naki Warriors vs. Mindoro Tamaraws, 12-9
- Isabela Knight Raiders vs. Olongapo Rainbow Team 7, 11-7
The 24 Reinforced Chess Teams are vying for the following prize pots sponsored by Wesley So:
- PHP 150k for Champion
- PHP 75k for runner up
- PHP 40k for 2nd Runner-up
- PHP 20k for 3rd Runner-up
- PHP 10K each for Best Player of the Conference, Best Import, and Finals MVP
The Wesley So Cup games go live on Saturdays and Wednesdays from May 15-July 31 on the PCAP Facebook Page.
SEND CHEERS in the comments below to the participants and organizers of the Wesley So Cup as it kicks off with 1st round shocker wins!
Good News Pilipinas is celebrating its 15th Anniversary in 2021 by giving away prizes! Subscribe to our Good News Pilipinas! TV YouTube channel and enter the raffle by sending us an email to email@example.com