GMA Network again carried the Philippine colors at the 2019 edition of the United States International Film and Video Festival (USIFVF). The Filipino news organization bagged 10 major awards and recognition certificates for its news and public affairs shows.
Broadcast journalist Atom Araullo led the GMA Network medal haul at the U.S. festival with two Gold Camera Awards
The multi-awarded Filipino journalist won awards for “The Atom Araullo Specials” episodes “Babies for Sale” and “No Leftovers.”
Just this April, “The Atom Araullo Specials: No Leftovers” also won the Silver World Medal at the 2019 New York Festivals, again leading the GMA Network medal tally.
The third Gold Camera Award for GMA was given to Winnie Monsod’s “Bawal Ang Pasaway kay Mareng Winnie: Dengvaxia”.
Here are the awards garnered by GMA Network at the 2019 U.S. International Film and Video Festival:
1. 3 GOLD CAMERA AWARDS
1. The Atom Araullo Specials: Babies for Sale
The episode won the Documentary: Investigative/Special Reports category. It investigated the alarming baby transactions prevalent in social media. The episode was also a nominee in the prestigious “Best of Festival” Awards-Documentary category.
2. The Atom Araullo Specials: No Leftovers
The episode won in the Documentary: Social Issues category. The winning piece showed that food wastage remains a big problem in the Philippines by tracing how food is wasted from production to consumption.
3. Bawal Ang Pasaway kay Mareng Winnie: Dengvaxia
The episode featured program host Winnie Monsod probing Department of Health (DOH) Usec. Rolando Enrique Domingo and former DOH USec. Dr. Teodoro Herbosa about the dengue vaccination campaign amid the rising deaths of dengue patients and doubts on Dengvaxia’s safety.
2. 7 SILVER SCREEN AWARDS
- Saksi: Typhoon Mangkut
- Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho: Salay
- I-Witness (Howie Severino Team): Islang Walang Lupa
- Front Row: Pasan
- Debate 2019: The Senatorial Face-off
- Investigative Documentaries: Piitan
- I-Bilib: Chris Tiu
3. 6 CERTIFICATES OF CREATIVE EXCELLENCE
- 24 Oras’ “Natonin Landslide Coverage” (Documentary: Continuing News Stories)
- Front Row’s “Nebulizer” (Documentary: Social Issues category)
- Onanay (Entertainment: Drama category)
- Reel Time’s “Fearless” (Documentary: Biography category)
- Idol sa Kusina (Entertainment: Cooking category)
- GMA News and Public Affairs’ Eleksyon 2019 advocacy campaign, “Pusuan ang Totoo” (Corporate: Public Relations category).
With reports from Atom Pornel.
SEND Congratulations in the comments below for GMA Network, the Philippines’ film, and television champions!
If you have a Filipino Pride story to share or you want us to cover, tag us on social media with #GoodNewsPilipinas
Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, new story notifications and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.