Twenty-two Filipino films have been selected for screening at the International Film Festival Manhattan (IFFM) being held as a virtual event this year amid the ongoing Covid pandemic
The IFFM recently announced the Official Selection for its Virtual Events happening online from November 19 to 22, 2020, presented by LFP International Production Inc and co-presented by Tagline International, Oncue Media, and Binary.
Luis Pedron, Festival Director of the International Film Festival Manhattan announced, “Due to the Worldwide Pandemic, the International Film Festival Manhattan will be doing Virtual Events happening online (ticketed with limited time) on November 19 to 22, 2020.
“Decision to do so was because of the lockdowns and limited travel around the world due to the Pandemic. There is also lack of live events happening in NY. Meanwhile, we plan to do meaningful (for the filmmakers and audience alike) Virtual Events Online.
“Doing the festival virtually will give us the opportunity of reaching a new audience beyond the borders of Manhattan NY. It gave us hope. Thus, we have our theme this year as ‘Digital Hope.'”
IFFM’s Pedron, a Filipino-American actor and filmmaker based in New York City, has been organizing events to support Filipino artistry.
“I will always feature Filipino films as part of my festival programming not only because I’m proud of being Filipino but because I am proud of the artistry of Filipino Filmmakers! Mabuhay ang Pelikulang Pilipino!”
The Filipino productions will be showcased along with the world’s best films in the New York-based festival that champions diversity in films. Other countries represented in the IFFM 2020 are USA, Canada, Bulgaria, Estonia, India, Japan, Colombia, Spain, Germany, Macau, China, Russia, Italy, Myanmar, Tibet, Austria, and Switzerland.
The topics and genre covered in the festival include the global pandemic due to the Corona Virus, senior issues, depression, health care system, beauty pageantry, military, war, crime, drama, and horror.
The following are the Filipino films that were selected from the hundreds of submissions from around the world:
“Latay (Battered Husband)” Dir: Ralston Jover, Starring Allen Dizon, Lovi Poe, Snooky Serna, Mariel de Leon and Diane Alvaro Producers: Baby Go, Dennis Evangelista, Ferdy Lapuz
1) “In Paglayag A Sulu Story” Dir: Rhadem Morados
2) “Maglabay Ra In Sakit (The Pain Will Ease)” Dir: Mijan Jumalon
3) “Kagitingan (Valor)” Dir: 1Lt Balaram S. Tamayo
1) “Biyaheng Madilim (A Night’s Journey)” Dir: Luisito Lagdameo Ignacio starring Teri Onor
2) “Sulyap (The Glance)” Dir: Geraldo Jumawan, Win Suarez Compendio
3) “Garbo (Pride)” Dir: Alan Filoteo
4) “Tuta (Lapdog)” Dir: Nadyn Estacio, Celina Makani
5) “Sa Apat Na Sulok” Dir: Scarlet Mendoza
6) “Kulong The Lockdown Story” Dir: Michael Daya
7) “Filius (Son)” Dir: Justin Allen Caspulso
8) “Padayon (Keep Going)” Dir: Clanche Dayve Belleza
9) “ANX” Dir: Jorge Bryan Marquez
10) “LOL” Dir: Mark Justine Aguillon
Quarancine Film Festival Top 3 Winners from the Philippines (as prize competes at IFFM)
11) “Sa Pag Uwi” Dir: Melchor Borja
12) “Namnama En Lolang (Grandmother’s Hope)” Dir: Jonnie Lyn Dasalla
13) “Blue Room Feelings” Dir: Ruka Azuma
Filipino American Filmmakers in the Festival
1) “Take Out Girl” Producer: MJ Del Rosario
2) “Karma the Movie” Director: Ricardo Catalan Jr
3) “Unspoken” Producer: Rodney Reyes
1) “Fish Head” Director: Marcos Durian starring Madison Rojas
2) “House Rules” Director Girard Tecson
Also featured in the festival as is Khatak Film Society Short film program co-curated by NY-based Filipino Filmmaker Jameelah Rose Lineses.
IFFM this year we will be honoring Veteran Award-Winning Filipino Director Louie Ignacio as the Lifetime Achievement Awardee.
A Posthumous Award will be given to Frontliner Occupational Therapist / Award-Winning Filmmaker / Co-Founder of the International Film Festival Manhattan Filipino American Gerry Balasta who passed away due to Covid 19 last March 2020.
The IFFM Virtual Events 2020 Schedule of events and tickets will be announced on www.IFFMNYC.com
SEND CONGRATULATIONS in the comments below to the Filipino films showcased in the International Film Festival Manhattan Virtual Events 2020.
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.