Six state colleges and universities (SCUs) have joined the S&T Action Frontline for Emergencies & Hazards (SAFE) Program of the Department of Science and Technology-Cordillera Administrative Region (DOST-CAR) to help farms in the Cordillera Administrative Region counter the negative effects of climate change.
The SCUs are tasked to conduct research and development studies to enable farmers, barangay and municipal officials to protect the CAR farms against disaster risks and climate change effects.
A total amount of P43 million was awarded to three universities and three colleges:
- Abra State Institute of Science and Technology (ASIST) – P6.9 million
- Apayao State College (ASC) – P6.3M
- Benguet State University (BSU) – P10.3M
- Ifugao State University (IFSU) – P6.1M
- Kalinga State University (KSU) – P6.3M
- Mt. Province State Polytechnic College (MPSPC) – P7M
The 6 SCUs will focus on varying R&D studies:
- ASIST project is on disaster risk reduction (DRR) of climate change on vulnerable vegetables in Abra
- ASC on DRR of climate change on vulnerable agricultural farms in Apayao
- BSU on DRR of climate change on vulnerable terrace farms in Benguet
- IFSU on DRR of climate change on vulnerable rice and vegetable farms in Ifugao
- KSU on DRR of climate change on vulnerable coffee farms in Kalinga
- MPSPC on DRR of climate change on vulnerable farms in Mt. Province
Twelve municipalities in CAR provinces are covered under the SAFE program:
- Lagangilang and Licuan Baay in Abra
- Luna and Kabugao in Apayao
- Kibungan and Tublay in Benguet
- Kiangan and Lamut in Ifugao
- Tabuk and Tinglayan in Kalinga
- Bauko and Sadanga in Mt. Province
Partner SUCs provided P10.6 million counterpart fund, says DOST-CAR. Other partner agencies are the Philippine Council for Agriculture, Aquatic and Natural Resources Research and Development, and the Highland Agriculture, Aquatic and Resources Research and Development Consortium.
DOST-CAR Director Victor Mariano said another P43M is being worked out for the establishment of laboratory facilities and for continuing research.