The Buwan ng Wika (Language Month) events this August 2020 encourage the use of Filipino and other local Philippine languages to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Komisyon ng Wikang Filipino (KWF) said the month’s events aim to urge people to use Philippine languages in the dissemination of information and announcements about the coronavirus disease.
The national language commission said that the resolution to the pandemic involves not only finding a vaccine but also requires widespread awareness of correct information about the virus.
“Ang pagresolba sa pandemyang dinaranas ng buóng mundo ay hindi lámang nakasalalay sa pagdiskubre ng “bakuna”—malaking papel ang ginagampanan ng kamalayan o awareness ng bawat tao ukol sa virus na sa tamang impormasyon ay magkakaroon ng kolektibong hakbang pára sa prebensiyon ng nakamamatay na sakít,” said KWF in a statement sent to Good News Pilipinas.
“Wika ang tuláy sa paghahatid ng kamalayan sa sangkatauhan upang ang COVID-19 ay mapigilan. Tinitingnan dito ang Filipino at mga katutubong wika sa bansa bílang tagapamansag ng kolektibong paghahanap ng pag-asa sa gitna ng krisis o matinding pangangailangan.”
The lead organizer of this year’s celebrations said using Philippine languages amidst the pandemic decreases the fear and stigma about the virus.
KWF listed activities that center around the Filipino concept of “Bayanihan (collective action)”:
- Creating and posting of slogans carrying the themes of the celebration
- Creating Infographics using local languages
- Conducting virtual forums and discussions
- Using local languages for instruction in universities and colleges
- Sharing of researches in the preservation of languages
- Using local languages in the provision of frontline services
- Translating important public documents into Filipino and local languages
KWF also released the following list of activities to mark the annual celebrations:
- KWF GAWAD DANGAL NG PANITIKAN – August 15-17, 2020
- KWF GAWAD DANGAL NG WIKA – August 15-17, 2020
- GAWAD KWF SA SANAYSAY NG TAÓN
- MAKATA NG TAÓN 2020
In 2019, Good News Pilipinas listed activities that help Filipinos celebrate Buwan ng Wika.
SEND MABUHAY CHEERS in the comments below to the Philippines as it marks Buwan ng Wika 2020 by using local languages to fight the COVID 19 pandemic!
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.