Illac Diaz’s 100-Day Voyage of Light on the Peace Boat with the mission to light up communities around the world without electricity is now officially on the United Nations Calendar of activities and has reached its halfway mark.
The Isang Litrong Liwanag (1LL) Liter of Light Foundation in the Philippines led by Diaz reported on February 1st that the UNESCO has included the 100 Day Solar Lighting World Tour of Liter of Light on the Peace Boat as part of its Calendar of Activities leading up to the May 16, 2019 International Day of Light (IDL2019).
The UNESCO-led IDL first took place in 2018 with 80 countries participating covering 640 events worldwide. The Filipino-led Voyage of Light on Peace Boat will now be marked as a UN-supported endeavor for IDL2019.
The 100-Day Voyage of Light has already reached the halfway mark as the Liter of Light solar factory on the Peace Boat reached Namibia on January 30 – their 10th port of call.
The Voyage of Light led by the Liter of Light on the Peace Boat is scheduled to make 19 stops around the world, bringing solar lamps made by volunteers on board the cruise ship and teaching communities on the ground how to create more to light up homes and streets without electricity.
Read the Good News Pilipinas 1st month Recap of the Voyage of Light Schedule of Stops:
- Yokohama, Japan – December 26, 2018
- Kobe, Japan – December 27, 2018
- Xiamen, China – December 31, 2018
- Singapore – January 5, 2019
- Port Louis, Mauritius – January 15, 2019
- Le Port, Reunion -January 16, 2019
- Ehoala, Madagascar – January 18-19, 2019
- Port Elizabeth, South Africa – January 23-25, 2019
- Cape Town, South Africa – January 27, 2019
- Walvis Bay, Namibia – January 30, 2019
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil – February 9, 2019
- Montevideo, Uruguay – February 13, 2019
- Buenos Aires, Argentina – February 14, 2019
- Ushuaia, Argentina – February 19-20, 2019
- Valparaiso. Chile – February 26, 2019
- Rapa Nui (Easter Is.), Chile – March 4, 2019
- Papeete, Tahiti – March 13, 2019
- Bora Bora Island, Tahiti – March 14, 2019
- Apia, Samoa – March 18, 2019
After Samoa, the Voyage of Light of the Liter of Light on the Peace Boat will then cruise its way back to Yokohama, Japan by March 31 and end its journey at Kobe, Japan by April 1, 2019.
Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com social media, notifications, e-mail newsletters, and Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube for updates on Illac Diaz and the Voyage of Light on Peace Boat and more Filipino Pride stories.