It starts today – the first digital Cinemalaya is showcasing 10 Filipino short films on the film festival’s new online channel.
The 16th Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival starts streaming on Friday, August 7 – 16, 2020, on the Vimeo channel.
The annual Cinemalaya that is traditionally held at the Cultural Center of the Philippines is being presented online following the health safety protocols that disallow face-to-face mass assemblies in quarantined areas amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 2020 Cinemalaya features 10 Short Films selected out of 244 entries submitted that will vie for the Best Film award.
Following are the short films in competition:
- ANG GASGAS NA PLAKA NI LOLO BERT (THE BROKEN VINYL RECORD) by Janina Gacosta and Cheska Marfori
- ANG PAGPAKALMA SA UNOS (TO CALM THE PIG INSIDE) by Joanna Vasquez Arong
- EXCUSE ME MISS, MISS, MISS by Sonny Calvento
- FATIGUED by James Robin Mayo
- LIVING THINGS by Martika Ramirez Escobar
- PABASA KAN PASYON by Hubert Tibi
- QUING LALAM NING ALDO (UNDER THE SUN) by Reeden Fajardo
- THE SLUMS by Jan Andrei Cobey
- TOKWIFI by Carla Pulido Ocampo
- UTWAS (ARISE) by Richard Salvadico and Arlie Sweet Sumagaysay
Cinemalaya 2020 also presents the following festival components:
- Short Films in Exhibition – 20 specially curated short films
- 32nd Gawad CCP Para sa Alternatibong Pelikula at Video – considered the longest-running independent film competition of its kind in the ASEAN region; categories include Short Feature/Narrative, Experimental, Documentary and Animation
- Visions of Asia – screening of award-winning Asian and Netpac films
- Tribute to Director Peque Gallaga
- Tribute to Actress Anita Linda
- Scriptwriting Master Classes with Ricky Lee – There will also be a virtual reunion of his writing workshop alumni
- Cinemalaya Campus – a major component of Cinemalaya
- Cinemalaya Awards Night
WATCH the 2020 Cinemalaya films here.
The 2020 Cinemalaya’s schedule is following the previously announced schedule despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
In 2019, the Cinemalaya Foundation bagged the Nikkei Asia Prize for championing local arts and culture.
SEND CHEERS in the comments below to the organizers of Cinemalaya for innovating on digital to continue the annual festival despite the COVID 19 pandemic!
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com, and our socials Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications, and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.