Proper hygiene like hand washing and boosting your immune system are your best defense against the novel CoronaVirus (nCoV) infection, a new respiratory virus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.
There are no current cures nor vaccines available to prevent an nCoV virus infection and so the best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States recommends these Everyday Preventive Actions to prevent the spread of Respiratory Viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands (Germs spread this way).
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces that may be contaminated with germs (similar viruses like SARs can stay alive for 5 – 7 days).
What You Should Do:
- Stay informed – Always update yourself with the latest information and advisory
- Remember to take everyday preventive actions that are always recommended to prevent the spread of respiratory viruses
If you feel sick with fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, and have traveled to China, or have contact with people from China that may be infected or in close contact with someone with nCoV, within the 14 days before you began to feel sick, seek medical care. But before you go to a doctor’s office or emergency room, call ahead and tell them about your symptoms, your recent travels, or encounter with someone who is possibly infected.
The Global Handwashing Partnership has issued recommendations that handwashing with soap can help prevent the spread of infections like coronavirus. The handwashing advocates also noted how the World Health Organization has finally prioritized the absence of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in healthcare facilities for the first time.
Local health experts recommend boosting the immune system with healthy food, like the Malunggay, can help fight coronaviruses.
SHARE THESE TIPS and help prevent infection from the novel coronavirus.
Want to know how to be a Proud Pinoy? Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com and our socials Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, for new story notifications and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.