Two doctors from the University of the Philippines Manila (UP Manila) have been hailed among the world’s next generation of physician leaders from the Philippines in the 2019 InterAcademy Partnership’s Young Physician Leaders (IAP YPL) Programme held in Germany.
The UP Manila doctors joined 20 other outstanding early career physicians from 21 countries who were gathered in Berlin on October 22-24 for the 2019 World Health Summit.
UP College of Public Health Department of Nutrition faculty and Special Assistant to the Dean Dr. Jaifred Christian F. Lopez and Dr. Raymond Francis Sarmiento of the UP Manila National Telehealth Center were chosen by the National Academy of Science and Technology as the two outstanding physicians representing the Philippines.
Dr. Jaifred Lopez is currently a health policy research and faculty member of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics in the College of Public Health, University of the Philippines Manila.
Some of Dr. Lopez’s notable works are:
- service in the Doctors to the Barrios (DTTB) rural physician deployment program of the Department of Health for over two years (2011-2013)
- successful implementation of the pioneer project modeled on the WHO Package of Essential Non-Communicable Disease Interventions (PEN) Protocol, which enabled the engagement of civil society and local government, particularly the senior citizens and the rural women’s sector
- Bachelor of Science in Basic Medical Sciences – Integrated Liberal Arts and Medicine (Intarmed) Program in 2008
- Doctor of Medicine degree in 2011 at the University of the Philippines Manila
- finished his Master in Public Management, Major in Health Systems and Development at the Development Academy of the Philippines in 2013
Dr. Raymond Sarmiento serves as Director of the National Telehealth Center, National Institutes of Health, University of the Philippines Manila.
Some of Dr. Sarmiento’s achievements are:
- recognized by NAST PHL as one of the 2019 Outstanding Young Scientists for his notable contributions in the field of biomedical and health informatics that helped improve the welfare of Filipinos
- current research projects include health data science, health information exchange for genetic diseases, standards and interoperability, clinical decision support, telemedicine, public health surveillance
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology (cum laude) at the University of the Philippines Diliman in 2003
- Doctor of Medicine degree at the University of the Philippines Manila in 2008
Dr. Lopez and Dr. Sarmiento engaged with a diverse group of outstanding early-career physicians (ages 40 and below) coming from multiple specialties and career interests such as education, clinical practice, public health, health policy, and research, who are committed to be the agents of change for health in their countries.
The InterAcademy Leadership Programme had the two Filipino doctors participate in peer-to-peer learning, matchmaking mentorship scheme and in the events of the World Health Summit and had them exposed to interactive websites that can post real-time professional information and gain visibility both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Peggy Hamburg, the IAP Health Co-chair, said effective health care and health policy need effective leaders and that more countries should provide the necessary training for young professionals to hone their leadership skills.
IAP President and IAP Health Co-chair, Depei Liu, added that by being one of the IAP Young Physician Leaders, they will be able to join a network with whom they can continue to share their experiences and best practices in their respective fields.
University of the Philippines education has proven its world-class quality, even besting the universities of Harvard, Cambridge, and Oxford in the 2019 Times Higher Education World University Rankings (WUR) for health research citations.
SEND congratulations in the comments below to the two Filipino doctors from the University of the Philippines for being hailed among the world’s best young physicians!
Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, new story notifications and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.