Filipino filmmaker Brillante Mendoza won the Special Jury Prize Award for his film “Alpha: The Right to Kill” at the 15th Bucharest International Film Festival (BIFF) held in Romania.
The Academy’s Filipino member received the Jury Prize at the BIFF Awards held June 30 at the Cinema Elvire Popesco.
The Cannes-awarded filmmaker’s new winning film is written by Troy Espiritu. Alpha presents the story of a policeman and a young informant involved in the controversial Philippine war on drugs, on a mission to arrest a drug lord in Manila.
Alpha’s cast includes Allen Dizon, Baron Geisler, Angela Cortez, and Elijah Filamor.
The multi-awarded Brillante Mendoza’s Alpha had previously won Jury Prizes from other award-giving bodies:
- Special Jury Prize, 66th San Sebastián International Film Festival (SSIFF) in Spain
- Jury Prize Ex-Aequo, 11th Beaune International Police Film Festival (PFF) in France
Alpha was also screened in the following film festivals:
- 23rd Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) in South Korea
- 34th Warsaw Film Festival (WFF) in Poland
- 12th Sydney Film Festival (SFF) in Australia
- 29th Singapore International Film Festival (SIFF)
- 25th Minsk International Film Festival (MIFF) in Belarus
- 14th Shaken Aimanov International Film Festival (AFF) in Kazakhstan
- 19th Tokyo FilmEx in Japan
- 40th Cairo International Film Festival (CIFF) in Egypt
- 37th Torino Film Festival (TFF) in Italy
- 23rd Kerala International Film Festival (KIFF) in India
After the Bucharest International Film Festival, Alpha: The Right to Kill will again be screening and competing at the 21st Taipei Film Festival from July 7 to 11 in Taiwan.
WATCH the full trailer of Alpha here and SEND your congratulations in the comments below for Brillante Mendoza, award-winning Filipino filmmaker in Bucharest!
Like, Follow, Subscribe to GoodNewsPilipinas.com Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Good News Pilipinas! TV on YouTube, new story notifications and e-mail newsletters for updates on more Filipino Pride stories.