Nick Deocampo and other notable film historians are all set to join the Sandaan Sa Luzon Leg of Sandaan: The Filipino Film Centenary Expedition (TFFCE) to celebrate 100 years of Philippine Cinema this November 22-23 at the De La Salle University – Dasmarinas in Cavite.
Acclaimed film critics, film educators, filmmakers and authors invited to grace this national historical event include:
- Nick Deocampo, Network for the Promotion of Asia Pacific Cinema president, multi-awarded filmmaker, film literacy advocate, author, film historian and U.P. Film Institute professor will give a situationer on the Asian and Global Film Industry amidst cultural boundaries.
- Dr. Mark Edwin Aspra of the Social Sciences Department and former dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Communication of De La Salle University Dasmarinas will talk about Aristotle and Plato: The Foundation of Film.
- Dr. Noel Volante, director of the Ateneo de Naga University Center for Culture and the Arts, meanwhile will impart his knowledge on Film Education. Prof. Volante was the Regional Festival Director of CinemaRehiyon-Pasale (Bicol) which was in collaboration with the National Commission for Culture and the Arts.
- Tito Valiente, film educator, critic, and anthropology expert will focus on Filipina directors who made a mark in the film industry in his talk, entitled, “Lights, Camera, Women in Action: The Great Filipina directors.”
- University of the Philippines Film Institute director, film scholar, educator and programmer Patrick Campos will share about the Filipino Film Expedition: Issues, Trends and Views.
- Film enthusiasts, film students and film professors will come to know about Indie, Maindie and Mainstream Paradigm from De La Salle Benilde professor and film educator Jose Antonio Garcia.
- Cannes screener and Gawad Urian awardee and filmmaker Arvin Belarmino will explore the international scene using the Cavite filmmaker’s perspective.
- Those interested in acting, meanwhile will go for the talk of Execon NCC Cinema – Mainstream Archi Adamos. Adamos is an actor, production manager and talent coordinator. He is known for his acting in Raket ni nanay (2006), Biyaheng lupa (2009) and Angelfist (1993).
- Execon NCC Cinema – Luzon representative Rosanni Recreo-Sarile, on the other hand, will enlighten Sandaan delegates with her talk on “Mga Artistang Caviteno sa Larangan ng Pelikulang Pilipino.” Prof. Sarile of De La Salle University – Dasmarinas was the film festival director for CinemaRehiyon 8.
- The participants of Sandaan sa Luzon will also have a glimpse of the life of the second father of Philippine cinema, namely, Vicente Salumbides in Boy Villasanta’s talk. Villasanta is a multi awarded movie writer, book author, film producer, reporter, and film critic.
Aside from the talks, acclaimed films from Cinema Rehiyon Reloaded will be screened at the Tanghalan ng Julian Felipe in De La Salle University – Dasmarinas.
The student short film, “Alpas” will also be screened. The film was produced by Communication and Journalism Department students of De La Salle University – Dasmarinas. Alpas dominated the 19th Gawad Tala awards of DLSUD-CJD in 2017. It is a film about a middle child who experiences “episodes” every time a problem occurs. Every episode brought him closer to the truth about his past.
An exhibit and film screenings are simultaneously being held at the Learning Commons of Aklatang Emilio Aguinaldo (AEA) of De La Salle University – Dasmarinas. The project is in collaboration with AEA-IRC on the occasion of the 28th Library & Information Services Month with the theme, “Ang Kulturang may Malasakit, sa Silid-aklatan ay Makakamit.”
Sandaan Sa Luzon is organized by DLSU-D for the National Cinema Committee of the National Commission on Culture and the Arts with its project director Communication and Journalism Department chairman Artin Umali. The next TFFCE leg will be at the Visayas organized by The Negros Museum and CineKasimanwa.
GoodNewsPilipinas.com is a media partner of Sandaan TFFCE.