A new generation of Filipino fencing talent has emerged from the 2023 Hefeng National Junior and Children Fencing Championships held at the New Taipei Municipal Linkou Senior High School in New Taipei City.
The event last May 27-28 saw a total of 10 athletes from the Philippines fencing clubs – Canlas Fencing and Republic Fencing – raking in an impressive haul of 12 medals, including 2 golds, 1 silver, and 9 bronzes.
Marcus Antonio Manuel and Sophia Shekainah Catantan of Canlas Fencing led the Philippine delegation in raising the country’s flag high. Both young fencers clinched gold in their respective Men’s and Women’s Foil categories, proving that the future of Philippine fencing is both promising and bright.
Manuel, a 14-year-old student at Paref Northfield, also added a silver medal to his collection. At just 13, Catantan, a student fencer at the University of the East, and sister to multi-medalist international fencer Samantha Catantan bagged a bronze in the Under 15 Women’s Foil category.
These two standouts were part of a 50-strong delegation from the Philippines, with participants ranging in age from 7 to 17 years old.
Below are the proud medalists and athletes who contributed to the Philippines’ commendable performance at the 2023 Hefeng National Junior and Children Fencing Championships:
Canlas Fencing Medalists:
- Marcus Antonio Manuel: Gold (Under 15 Men’s Foil), Silver (Under 17 Men’s Foil)
- Sophia Shekainah Catantan: Gold (Under 17 Women’s Foil), Bronze (Under 15 Women’s Foil)
- Medich Vereeza Boy: Bronze (Under 17 Women’s Sabre)
- Victoria Ebdane: Bronze (Under 15 Women’s Foil)
- Jodie Danielle Tan: Bronze (Under 13 Women’s Foil)
- Nicol Amethyst Canlas: Bronze (Under 13 Women’s Sabre)
- Yuna Samuelle Canlas: Bronze (Under 11 Girls Foil)
- Alyssa Rae Villacin: Bronze (Under 9 Girls Sabre)
- Akirra Rae Villacin: Bronze (Under 7 Mixed Sabre)
Republic Fencing Medalist:
- Octaveus Leeroi Chan: Bronze (Under 11 Boys Foil)
These stellar performances at the Hefeng Championships hint at an upcoming generation of Filipino fencers ready to continue the country’s fencing legacy. The future of Philippine fencing is indeed looking more promising than ever.
SEND CONGRATULATIONS in the comments below to the young Filipino fencers raising the Philippines’ flag at the Hefeng Championships!
Good News Pilipinas is a Lasallian Scholarum Awardee. TELL US your good news story tips by messaging GoodNewsPilipinas.com on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, or e-mailing email@example.com