The Philippines is observing the annual National History Month and Filipino Language Month this August with a variety of activities where the public can participate.
The National History Month celebration mandated by Proclamation No. 339, s. 2012, is led by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) which has chosen the 2022 theme: “Our History Continues”. Official activities include both online and onsite conferences, lectures, webinars, workshops, exhibits, and contests.
The Buwan ng Wika (Filipino Language Month) celebration mandated by Republic Act 7104 Section 14 is led by the Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino (KWF) which has chosen this year’s theme: “Filipino at mga Katutubong Wika: Kasangkapan sa Pagtuklas at Paglikhâ (Filipino and Indigenous Languages: Means to Discover and Create)”.
The NHCP officially opened National History Month on August 3 at Fort San Pedro in Cebu City where historians and heritage experts have gathered to craft a National Action Plan for Local History Development for 2022-2027.
The scheduled activities for the month include:
- 12 August: Opening of the Exhibit “Ang Pilipinas at ang Unang Pagikot sa Daigdig” at the Museo ng Republika ng 1899 in Malolos, Bulacan
- 15 August: Tatak Pinoy: Mga Sasakyang Gawang Pilipino (online exhibit) via Facebook Live of the NHCP Presidential Car Museum
- 18 August: 10th Death Anniversary of Secretary Jesse Robredo and Launching of “Jesse: Legacy After Death” Exhibit at the NHCP Museo ni Jesse Robredo in Naga City, Bicol
- 18 August 10:00 a.m.” #HugotRizal: Poetry Slam Via Zoom and Facebook Live by the NHCP Museo ni Jose Rizal Calamba in Laguna
- 22-26 August: Team PALAKASAYSAYAN (contest) at the Museo ng Katipunan Pinaglabanan Memorial Shrine in San Juan City
- 24 August 2:00 PM-4:00 PM: La Solidaridad: Pahayagang Mapagpalaya Via Zoom and FB Live at the Museo ni Mariano Ponce
For the complete list of official History Month activities go to this link.
August is #HistoryMonth2022!
By virtue of Proc. No. 339, 2012, the month of August is designated as History Month. The NHCP along w/ the Local Historical Committees Network, other agencies, & orgs have prepared activities to rekindle people’s appreciation of our rich history. pic.twitter.com/94D9a6fCaq
— National Historical Commission of the Philippines (@NHCPOfficial) August 1, 2022
The Filipino Language Month upcoming activities include a webinar on 8 August 10:00am – 12:00nn: “Wika ng Tahanan, Komunidad, at Paaralan: Kaugalian at Motibasyon sa Pagpapataas ng Kalidad ng Edukasyon” via KWF Zoom.
Check out this list of museums to learn more facts about Philippine history.
Local Filipino languages were used to spread COVID-19 info when the pandemic hit the country in 2020.
Good News Pilipinas is a Lasallian Scholarum Awardee. TELL US your good news story tips by messaging GoodNewsPilipinas.com on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or e-mail email@example.com and WATCH Good News Pilipinas TV YouTube & Good News Pilipinas TikTok for more Filipino Pride stories!